Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday


"Whisky mit Wodka" ("Whiskey with Vodka")

A German film within a film.

The aging actor, Otto, is increasingly unreliable on set as he has turned to the bottle. The producer decides to challenge Otto by bringing in a talented younger actor and shoot every scene in duplicate -- once with Otto and once with the younger actor.

An intriguing premise that succeeds as a film. A very enjoyable feast of a movie. This is a story about aging, about competition, about loneliness...

I can highly recommend this as a film but it unfortunately lacks a message that is relevant for our jury...

- Press Conference for "Whiskey with Vodka"


"Tutta Colpa di Giuda" ("Freedom")

An Italian film set in a prison in Turin.

An avant-garde theater director stages Christ's Passion as a modern musical and nobody wants to play Judas.

Part reality, part fiction, part documentary (real prisoners are used...), part fable...

On paper this is not a film that I would have thought I'd enjoy as much as I actually did. It was truly unlike any other film I think I've ever seen and a true treat. For this I give it much credit. Not a perfect film by any means but what it does is force one to consider what the meaning of The Passion is and what was the purpose of Christ on earth?

A treat...