Monday, July 26, 2010

Galway Film Fleadh



I wasn't able to attend the Galway Film Festival this year.

Thankfully, Filmbase and the Lighthouse cinema joined together to sponsor a screening of the award-winning short films from this year's Fleadh...

Of the 11 shorts in the program, my favorite three included "Mister Heaney - A Wee Portrait," an animation (which I'm usually not a big fan of but this particular film was more similar in style to claymation... and very funny indeed), a drama "The Crush" (which was very endearing and a great choice to open the screening), and a documentary "Bow St." (this was truly a piece of visual art -- beautiful cinematography, and it showcased a myriad of characters that you would experience in a typical walk down Bow St. in Dublin).

The screening of these 11 shorts lasted just about 2 hours and left me with a much deeper satisfaction than if I had instead watched one film of the same length from Hollywood...